Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Video restart

Well I was having so many problems with editing HD video that I have scrapped the first attempt completely. After about 4 minutes of edited 1080HD my computer memory gave up the ghost. I tried to render the four minutes I had as a part 1, and was then going to edit part 2 seperately. I set it off rendering to 1080HD and left it overnight. When I checked it it was at 0% after 5 and a half hours. Estimated time remaining was over 10 hours and increasing by about 12 seconds every second. Even if it had managed to complete 1% after 5 hours it would mathematically take 20 days to complete 100%, for a 4 minute clip! There must be a better way of editing HD video.
Anyway, I have now converted the HD .mov files to high quality .avi and I'm going to start again. The system should have no problem now as the files are less than 1/10 of their original size. It does mean that the final product won't be HD but it should still be good quality (fingers crossed).

1 comment:

  1. dude look for 'mpeg streamclip' its free, and convert everything preferably to 'prores Lt'. its still hd, bigger file size but the computer doesnt have to fight the camera encoding...what are you shooting on? the 7d? I shoot on a 5dmk2
    your computer will hate the camera format, but you shouldnt have to loose quality...drop me a line on fb and will see if i can help.

    Regards
    John

    info@johnrourke.co.uk
    http://www.facebook.com/JohnRourkeCreative

    ReplyDelete